November 22, 2008

Happiness is...


Obviously, I'm happy when my kids burst into laughter or one of them says something brilliant or I have big success at work and solve a huge problem.  We all have the obvious things in our lives that make us happy.

But what about the little quirky things?  The strange or the ordinary?

I was in the drive-thru getting "lazy food" tonight and the air was very cold and crisp.  I had the window open and the heater running nearly full blast.  I could feel the tendril fingers of cold swirl around, grasping, then driven back by the force of air from the heater. Fresh air in my face, hot air wrapping around me, a mix of hot and cold like the pleasures of eating salty/sweet.  I leaned my head back on the headrest while I waited and thought, "Now this is happiness."

The wait seemed eternal so I started making a list of other ordinary things that make me happy:
  1. the first cardinal of winter, the first dogwood of spring
  2. red toasters
  3. frogs singing
  4. a fresh, blank journal
  5. the smell of a bookstore
  6. hot tea with cream and sugar
  7. walking the neighborhood with my camera
  8. a new craft book
  9. a real letter in the mailbox
  10. knowing all the streets in town
  11. riding my bike around the town square after closing time
  12. "circus squirrels" (squirrels that walk on powerlines)
  13. buy one, get one free  :)
  14. fresh squeezed orange juice, lots of pulp
  15. the ocean
  16. trees that hang over a city street or country road
  17. sticky notes and gel pens
  18. a fresh coat of paint
  19. moving sidewalks
  20. peanut butter crackers and a good book
What are some of the things that make YOU happy?



[photo credit: bingbing]

8 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, I used to smell each book I got. Each has it's own distinct scent and I loved them all.

    I also derive great pleasure from just holding a book.

    I also love hand painted ceramics of which there is no shortage here in Italy.

    I just had the pleasure of reading your description of sitting in a open car on a cold day with the heater turned on high. I like your style. AND, I like to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list!!

    Brilliant colors, a good bassline, a sweet smell, fall...so many little things!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. putting on a fleece jacket fresh from the dryer on a cold day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, you are all adding wonderful things. I think all those could be on MY list too!

    I have another one to add... this morning I was walking to my car and overhead was a raucous honking of a flock of Canadian geese on there way to their winter home. They were so rowdy, determined and full of life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eating dark chocolate and a banana together
    Butter
    A good chord change
    A new episode of You Look Nice Today podcast
    Flags
    Hanging out the washing
    Bringing in the washing
    Walking backwards up a hill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - and of course poking a knife into a vacuum-pak of coffee. Fffffffffwaaaaaaaaaah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I don't know. I guess I like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, and maybe brown paper packages tied up with strings.

    Well, those are just a few of my favorite things, but somehow I don't feel very original...

    Kristian
    Coquetting Tarradiddles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every once in a while we get to see two squirrels that run as a pack, always together on the lines.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!