Today was the first day I really and truly felt Fall was on its way. It's cooler outside the house than in and when I opened the door to let Lucy out she paused and wasn't sure what to do. Even though her food was outside waiting for her she sensed something was off in the air and she stood in the doorway a long time pondering such an uncertain egress. This will be her first fall season and I'm not sure she was thrilled about it.
My favorite things about Fall:
- State and county fair season!
- Cool weather (obviously)
- Fall means it's almost Halloween, my favorite holiday
- Fall means it's almost Thanksgiving, my second favorite holiday
- The trees get dressed up in their fancy colorful fineries (followed by the subsequent "getting naked" after the party's over). Those shameless hussies.
- Walking in the woods is the best in fall and winter. No ticks, no snakes and you can see the undulation of the earth through the naked trees.
- Smoke in the air from fireplaces and woodstoves.
- Knitting is way more fun in cool weather and I can break out the homemade socks and scarves!
- Mulled cider
It's funny, because Spring is supposed to be the rebirth, but somehow for me Fall is when things seem more joyous, more alive, more expansive.
What are your favorite things about Fall?