November 25, 2009

Rooting for the Home Team

My husband is a 49ers fan, therefore, by default, I am also a 49ers fan. This also means that during childrearing on Sundays during football season we diligently train our children to root for my husband's "home team".  Considering their wins during the last few years, it takes special courage and effort to be a fan of the 49ers.

On Sunday we were sitting around watching the game. Tristan seems particularly interested in football and without any prompting from us he'd periodically scream out, "GO GO GO".  Not always for the right team, but he was getting the idea, anyway.

I decided to team him to yell, "GO NINERS" because I thought it would amuse his dad. We practiced yelling that and "DEFENSE DEFENSE" with Tristan periodically shaking his fist at the television.

While having nachos there was one particularly tough play during which I was yelling, "Go Niners!"  I said, "Say it with me, Tristan... go niners!"

He put down his chip and, staring at the TV said, "It's not helping."

True, but we've been rooting for the home team too long to give up now!

15 comments:

  1. So cute! We're not big football fans but we root for our home team. The Colts! My daughter is the biggest fan and she's 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is only going to get more and more hilarious now that Tristan is learning to talk properly!

    *rubs paws together in anticipation*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness Tristan is still too young to know it's EMBARRASSING to root for the niners ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! Well, I'm from MI and unfortunately for us, the lions play on turkey day. We have to root for em but it's hard knowing the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tristan is wise beyond his years! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. May your day be rich and warm and satisfying.

    And may someone else volunteer to do the clean up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's hilarious! Even kids get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell Tristan that cheering ALWAYS helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep hoping my team hears me too :) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Wendy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. And thus he learns a useful lesson that shouting at the TV never changes the bad luck of the sports team on display. Never works for the Scotland football team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband shakes his head in disbelief at me. My favorite team is the Baltimore Orioles. No, we don't live anywhere near Baltimore. No, I don't know anyone in Baltimore. No, I can't name a single player on the team. But, they have one heckuva stadium.

    ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That kid is an adult in a child's body! TOO funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must say that given how the Toronto Maple Leafs have been playing, I might as well be saying "Go Niners" cause it's helping about the same amount. And it's not even the same sport!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!