I watched a news story tonight about Laura Bush unveiling two new sets of White House china.
My first thought was, "Well, that really sucks for Michelle Obama, that thirteen days before a new First Lady is in the White House the outgoing Lady picks the new china." It seemed rude and sort of in-your-face.
Then I heard the price tag. Half a million dollars. Let me type that again, only a little slower... half a million dollars.
One might argue that it's just fine and dandy to spend half a million dollars on china because it's from some historical society and it's not taxpayer dollars. However, I say it's heartless to spend half a million dollars on a luxury of that nature AT THIS TIME when people are losing their homes and when men are committing suicide because they get ripped off from investors and when innocent children are being blown to bits on a war that we watch every night on TV.
Let's step back and examine for a moment what half a million dollars can buy you:
- In my area of the country (Arkansas), depending what county you are in half a million can buy 5-10 families a new home to live in
- Approximately two million school lunches
- One thousand Heifer Int'l cows that create exponential agricultural growth in underdeveloped countries
- Five million pounds of food and groceries for starving Americans ($1 for each 10 pounds of food)
- Microloans to 500 people to start businesses that would improve their communities
- Kitchen sinks for 5000 Habitat for Humanity houses
- College education for 13 students who could change the world for the better
- Supply water to 2500 Africans with $350,000 left over for something else
- Thanksgiving turkeys for 25,000 families in America
- 50,000 bed nets to save children from malaria
The list could go on and on, but you get the idea.
Thirteen more days of frippery, Mrs. Bush. Enjoy!